Chapter 12: The Power of Precision
“Human language is like a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, when all the time we are longing to move the stars to pity.” ~Gustave Flaubert
This chapter is all about communication! More specifically how to communicate to others exactly what you want from them. Because sometimes that’s really all it takes to get what you want or to reach a goal. Simply just by asking. Since we know that people are one of our greatest resources in life, it makes sense. Here are the five guidelines to asking intelligently and precisely:
(1) Ask Specifically: You must describe specifics when asking someone for something that you need. This might include how much, how many, when, where or with whom. The most effective questions have more than one of these answered in it. If your company needs a loan, be specific as to how much you need, when you need it, and what you’ll effectively use it for.
(2) Ask Someone Who Can Help You: Again, let’s say you need a loan for your company. Don’t go asking someone who can’t spare $20 for gas money! You need to ask the people that have the resources you need. Whether it’s money or simply their opinion. In this case, you would target investors, entrepreneurs, or anyone in your life who you know could loan you the money you need. Be smart on who you decide to ask for things!
(3) Create Value For The Person You’re Asking: Charity is a rare thing nowadays, so before you ask someone who can help you for something, you have to make sure you create a plan as to how you can help that person too. If you’re asking someone to invest into your company, make sure you can give them a motivating benefit to actually make the investment. In other words, how can your company help this person? If they do give you what you need as a simple favor, that’s great! But most times that won’t be the case so be prepared!!
(4) Ask With Focused, Congruent Belief: Be sure and be confident in what you are asking for! If you don’t believe in what you want, then how can anyone else?
(5) Ask Until You Get What You Want: Consistency is key! You might have the best plan for asking someone to invest in your business, but you still get turned down. That doesn’t mean you give up. Just like in the Ultimate Success Formula you have to recognize what isn’t working for you then have the flexibility to make the necessary changes! You might have to ask a hundred different people in a slightly different way to get the result you want.
It’s clear that communication is one of the most important factors of being successful. You need to know exactly what it is you want out of life to communicate that vision to others as well. It can’t be said enough, but people are one of your greatest resources to reaching success. The sooner you learn how to communicate with others, the easier it will be to fulfill your dreams!